Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Newspaper Article

We got assigned in English to write an article for the school paper. I chose the topic about how we have to pay ten dollars in order to talk to a counselor, and how unfair it is. Long story short, I did some research, and it's breaking student rights, which is breaking the law. So basically if it gets published, and the administrators read it...I'm in trouble, most likely. Freedom of speech though, right? And this doesn't have as much potential as it could have...It had to be a minimum of 250 words and a maximum of 300 words. I had 276.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Students Feel Robbed
By Kevin D****
Have you ever needed your class schedule changed? If so, mosey on down to the Counseling Center, fill out a class change form, deposit ten dollars into the business office, then wave goodbye to your ten dollars as your request gets rejected. This is how the students at BHS are feeling cheated out of their money.

Kaitlyn S******, an aspiring student at BHS comments on this issue. "After I paid the ten dollars, and consulted my counselor, they found out that my schedule couldn't work the way I wanted it to. I didn't even get my money back at all! They could have checked in 2 minutes to see if it could work out, before I wasted my money!"

Most people feel that this is wrong; few students KNOW that this is wrong. Some students need to switch out of a class, due to problems with a teacher. They have to fill out the same, silly paperwork, as well as depositing ten dollars. Clearly though, this violates their Student Rights. A student has a right to speak to their counselor for any problems that they may have; be it emotional, mental, family, etc. Having tension between a student and a teacher is a sort of emotional and mental problem, thus giving students the right to speak to a counselor immediately, and at no charge.

So why do they charge, they probably have a perfect knowledge of what they are doing. Why do they reject people the opportunity to change a class, even if they have already paid the ten dollars? Our cozy, quaint little school isn't what it seems to be.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And there you have it. It's violating the rights that we have as students, which can be found online. :)

Secretly, part of me is hoping they notice it and confront me about it...



No comments: